Search This Blog

Friday, June 14, 2019

Seal of Righteousness (Paladin Threat)

The next round of Classic WoW beta stress tests is coming around, and I've been thinking about what I want to test during the time I have to (hopefully) play on the beta servers. Since I am so interested in playing a protection paladin, I'm interested in how Seal of Righteousness interacts with different one handed weapons.

I learned during the last test that the spell deals more damage with a two handed weapon equipped, and I'm interested in seeing how the damage works with weapons of different speeds. My guess is that a faster weapon will be ideal for threat generation as more weapon hits mean more holy damage applications of the Seal. I'm also interested in testing whether the Seal's damage will apply if I'm unarmed (in case that's faster, and because some mobs do disarm). With the faster weapon being ideal, I am wondering how advantageous it might be to use the Skinning Knife while tanking (at least early on) since it's weapon speed is 1.6 seconds, which is considerably faster than any sword or mace I could find.

The tradeoff I'm wondering about with using a fast weapon is that the white hits will be low. So even with a lot of holy damage the low white hit damage might still mean lower threat. I'm going to try to farm enough mobs to vendor enough items to afford to buy weapon training and different weapons with different speeds to see how the damage of Seal of the Righteousness scales.

This may not yield anything very interested or illuminating, but it'll give me a better idea of what I will be testing when I start tanking my first instances. Just like I plan on test different talent builds, I'm interested in seeing what the best weapon/seal combo is to be an effective tank.

I always hear about how the game is 15 years old and everything has already been theory crafted, but it isn't 15 years old to me and I haven't theory crafted everything out. Having started playing so close to the release of Burning Crusade, I didn't get a chance to play as much Vanilla as I would have liked, and now I'll get that chance. So I'm going to try and figure out as much as I can.

What are you interested in learning (or relearning) as you dive back into the game?

Update: I got to play some of the stress test today and last night, and I found out that the faster Skinning Knife did not reduce the holy damage from Seal of Righteousness. So I'm going to give it a try tanking to see how it does while tanking dungeons. I imagine that it might be particularly useful at the start of fights, and if I can get a decent enchant on it, it could be worth until I can find a fast enough weapon with Intellect or plus Spell Damage stats.


No comments:

Post a Comment