Search This Blog

Friday, September 3, 2010

Why I like bad tanks.

I love it when I see a tank with less than 30k health. I love seeing a tank who is clearly not defense capped. And I love it when that tank is horrible at holding agro. "But CrusaderSev that's crazy, a bad tank couldn't bring any good." Wrong! A bad tank means that I get to heal. And I mean really heal!

My priest is a Kingslayer and has everything from Icecrown (cept a stupid wand). My paladin has his 4 peices of teir 10 (though most everything else is from ToC 10). By no means are my healers in super amazing gear but they vastly out gear the content present in heroics. If I am unlucky enough to get into a group with a tank who is as geared or better than me, then that means a boring run. He takes little damages, the dps take little damage, and I am playing the "you don't need to be topped off" game.

In the past I would resort to wearing level 60 gear sets. Not only did I look awesome (Banana Shoulders FTW!), but my spell power and mana were lowered enough to make me feel like I did when I first started. I had to use my heals more because one was no longer enough. That got to be pretty fun, but I found that most people didn't really like that very much. Because on the off chance that things did go wrong, things got a little bit scary for them. So I have stayed in my normal gear sets hoping for the group that has a poorly geared tank.

I was very disapointed last night. The tank we started with had less than 30k, and couldn't keep agro off my girlfriend's mage, and I was happy. Then my girlfriend and a warlock get one shotted from pulling agro, and our feral druid swaps to bear and tanks the rest. My disapointment arose when said druid had 60k health :(

Now I know that if I want a challenge I can go and play with the LK some more. But I don't really have the time to play with Arthas now that classes have started. So I'm just going to have to wait for that bad tank/group that makes a boring heroic a little less boring. Another reason to look forward to Cataclysm.

2 comments:

  1. You know what you ought to do? You should advertise your "Bad-Tank Back-up" skills in trade. Lots of people just get nervous tanking with pugged groups, but if they knew that at least the healer didn't mind if they struggled, and therefore the healer had to, you know, actually HEAL, they would be more excited about it.

    I too prefer "bad tanks", though I would say undergeared tanks. I love getting in a group with a fresh tank who is still nervous, because I love knowing that I'm helping them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good idea. I see Tanks posting in trade all the time letting people in on their random heroics. Letting new tanks know that there is a healer looking for some excitment could definitely be a good way to help them get their feet wet, and give them some confidence in the process.

    I included "bad tanks" because sometimes I like the challenge of keeping an agro happy dps alive just as much as keeping that undergeared tank alive. (emphasis on "sometimes" lol)

    ReplyDelete